Place will consist of four apartment blocks named Bradbury Hall,
Field View, Hall View and
The Maltings. Each name has its own place in history which stretches
back over the last 400 years.
Bradbury Hall was a very well known building dominating
the lower Brampton area, on the main Chatsworth Road.
Over the years it has served the community in many different ways.
first building on the site is thought to have dated back to the
17th century. Field House as it was known then was purchased by
John Smith in 1803. He was considered a gentleman with a wealthy
family background. His father was the owner of the Brampton Ironworks.
John Smith added to his purchase of Field House, by acquiring
a piece of adjacent land. He extended this even further
in 1809 with a second purchase of land and a cottage. He died
in 1814 leaving his legacy to his wife Mary and four children.
It wasn’t long after John’s death that Mary built
an ale and porter brewery on the land behind Field House.
Mary then went on to mortgage the property for a further £500
in 1823 and the mortgage was transferred to James Shemwell.
The property was then sold again to William Belfield who occupied
the house for some of the time as the owner.
During his ownership, a malt house had also been built on the
land next to the house. In 1837 William died and the property
passed to his nephew Robert Belfield.After having a number of
tenants, William Bradbury Robinson went to live there as a tenant
in 1852 with his wife Elizabeth and their first child Martha Annie.
William was the son of John Bradbury Robinson, the founder of
Robinson and Sons. After bringing up 9 children in Field House,
William and Elizabeth moved away in 1867 owing to her ill health.
Elizabeth died in the same year.
Around 1870 the house was sold by Robert Belfield to Charles George.
He was a tailor who specialised in uniforms and was contracted
to supply those at Chatsworth House. His daughter Isabella was
proprietor of a millinery in Glumangate and apparently her name
can still be seen on the tiles in the doorway.
The Malthouse was also known as the Oast House and has its own
history. It could not been seen upon entering the yard of the
main house since it was surrounded by cottages. It was however
the factory to J.J.Cockerell, Gothard & Co who were the manufacturers
of Queen Elizabeth Sauce.
The Malthouse was also utilised as a soda water manufactory in
later years and in 1887 St.Thomas Mission church began in the
In 1928 Field house was purchased from the Robinson family by
the company of Robinson and Sons to provide canteen and welfare
facilities for their workforce. In 1937 there was a major redevelopment
and a new room was added called the York room after the Duke of
York who became George V.
Bradbury Hall provided much needed temporary shelter during the
war years, becoming a registered rest centre. At the end of the
war in 1945 it continued to provide welfare facilities for Robinsons
and then finally in 1984 it closed its doors to the staff as it
was considered no longer suitable.
It was then sold and became a bar and restaurant for a number
of years and later evolved in to a nightclub.
The site was completed in the summer of 2008 and consists
of four prestigious apartment blocks. Each block
has been named in memory of times gone by to preserve the history
of Bradbury Hall.